iSEE Program Information
Connecting LAUSD High School Students to Careers in Architecture, Engineering and Construction
[Back to Top]
To engage, expose, and challenge LAUSD high school youth to explore architecture, engineering and construction as career opportunities by capitalizing on the District's ownership of the nation's largest School Construction and Renovation Program.
- Provide an engaging learning environment that introduces students to architecture, engineering and construction.
- Increase the diversity of students entering the design and building industries.
- Develop sustainable mentorship relationships with students.
- Facilitate student access to college architecture, engineering and construction management academic programs, and to available scholarship opportunities.
- Provide hands-on experiences that make students capable and marketable prior to attending college.
- Connect eligible graduates of the high school internship program to the LAUSD College Student Construction Management Intern Program.
[Back to Top
Program Overview and Timeline
Phase I: Introduction to Design Software - January - June 2010
The iSEE Program begins with the option of two Computer Aided Design courses. These courses are offered through a partnership with the Los Angeles Trade Technical College's (LATTC) Science & Technology Academy and its Architecture & Environmental Design program. These courses introduce students to computer design software, as well as provide opportunities for hands-on projects. The college classes will take place on Saturdays from February to May 2010, at LATTC. Students will receive college credit for completing either of these courses.
In addition, five class seminars will be held once a month on Saturdays from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Each seminar will provide students an introduction to architecture, engineering, construction and construction management. The seminars will prepare students to better understand these disciplines and to fully take advantage of their role as summer interns with Los Angeles' leading architecture, engineering, and construction management firms. Interested students will also have an opportunity to work with highly recognized construction companies and Labor Trade Unions to ensure maximum exposure to the construction industry.
Locations & Transportation:
Participating students must provide their own transportation to the designated school site each Saturday from which LAUSD will provide transportation to locations listed below. The tour visits will provide students an opportunity to view and experience a cross-section of the architecture, engineering and construction industries.
- Construction Site Visits/Tour
- University Site
- Construction Training Site (Union)
- Architecture Tour
Architecture, Engineering & Construction Seminar Outline
Class Seminar #1 - Industry Introduction
Class Seminar #2 - Architecture and Engineering
- Internship Program Overview
- Course Outline and Schedule
- Rules of Conduct
- Structural Engineering Introduction
- Mechanical Engineering Introduction
- Solar Introduction/Energy Efficiency
Class Seminar #3 - Construction
- Green Building
- LAUSD Sustainability Program
Class Seminar #4 - Architecture II and Studio Project
- Measurement Fundamentals
- Reading Blueprint Drawings
- Hands-on Construction Training
Class Seminar #5 - Construction Management
- Safety Overview
- Solar Fundamentals
- Photovoltaic Project
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM July-August 2010
- Construction Management Introduction
- Introduction to Labor Trade Unions
- School Construction Site Visit
LAUSD will match student interns with Los Angeles architecture, engineering, and construction management firms, in addition to construction companies and Labor Trade Unions to ensure maximum exposure to the construction industry. Internships will be both part-time and full-time depending on the needs of the firm and availability of the student. The salary will range from $8.00 to $10.00 per hour.
Students must successfully complete Phase I in order to be eligible for the Summer Internship Program. Perfect attendance students will receive priority placement.
- LAUSD High School Juniors & Seniors
- Recent LAUSD High School Dropout
- Students must submit a completed iSEE Application Form and Parent Permission Slip
- Students must submit a completed Los Angeles Community College Application and Supplemental LATTC Application
[Back to Top
Click on the following link to download the form:
2010 iSEE Architecture & Engineering Internship Program Application
ENROLLMENT DEADLINE: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2009
Thank You iSEE Industry Partners!